Monday, December 15, 2008

Tired, Hungry, Scared


I'm put in a carrier, in a bumpy, moving object. Long ride. So very long. I meet some new people. Seem nice; but I keep my reserve. Another long ride. I'm getting hungry; no mood for any fondness.

I find a place in this moving object to settle down and make the best of it. As my hunger grows, I feel in a really bad mood.

Suddenly, we are stopped. I'm put back in my carrier. We go in where there's barking, meowing, people conversation. Crunch, crunch goes the bag. It must be food. YES, that's my food. Can we go now? YES, we are finally going.

Now the object moves again. After a short time, we stop. I hear barking. What is this? It does not sound like my home, it does not look like my home, it does not smell like my home. The barking grows louder. We walk in; I'm still in the carrier. Not sure I want to come out with all the excitement.

The new lady takes me into a room, closes the door and lets me out. I enter a new world with apprehension. Soon the door opens. DOGS! Ugh. Why couldn't it just be cats. I can deal with fellow felines. Had to be dogs. The chase begins. The lady tries to introduce me to my food, to my litter box, even to new toys. Oh my, too many distractions. Where are the cats? I begin my quest. There must be another feline here somewhere...

As the night begins to fall, the dogs have settled on the couch with the humans. I begin my search, cautiously. The house is very large. Many rooms. I'm becoming accustomed to the smells, the sounds. The dogs seem to just look at me now. I must not let my guard down. I've forgotten all about my hunger. Thirst. I drink from the dog's water bowl. They don't seem to mind.

Things settle further as humans and dogs retreat to their bed. I explore the house, find new hiding places. Every sound and shadow gets my attention. I am cat!

No comments: